Friday, July 24, 2009

Still beating Icestone

Recently I had a designer contact me about a small vanity that they were doing for a client. The client had seen a sample of Icestone's "Sky Pearl" and fell in love. Unfortunately, since Icestone sells by the slab and ships out of New York City(that ain't no Pace Picante), the cost of a small vanity was astronomical.
The designer asked if I could relicate the look. Even with the upcharge for developing a custom mix (yes, if you want something unusual, I do have to charge you for my time), the estimate was lower than the "yankee" option. Also, I had to assure the client and designer that if I wasnt able to come close to the sample they wanted, then I wouldnt charge them for it.
Top Left: Original
Rounds: Initial trials
Bottom Right: Final Product

At first, I tried with the glass I had around the shop, which was more of a dark Cobalt and took a stab at the proportions based on counting the individual bits of glass and Mother of pearl in the sample that was give me. Pretty far off the mark, but it created a sample that I have since grown to really like.
In the meantime I ordered some additional glass samples, one was still a little dark but another was a perfect match.
Then the most challenging, getting the proportions right of the clear glass sizes. The key, as it turned out was a "back to basics" approach. The mix designers at Icestone use a fairly standard aggregate size distribution. a couple of tweaks and boom.....Perfect.
The clinet then made the request to see more blue and mother of pearl and to add a slight gray cast.

These were easy to accomodate and now the client has a beautiful countertop at a reasonable price and it is 100% uniquely theirs!

PS. New Camera is friggin' awesome, Mr. Bigglesworth!!

No comments: